#THROWBACK THURSDAY
THURSDAY, 5 MARCH, 2015

Today I am sharing a themed kit layout from 2005 in carrying on with my #Throwback Thursday series. This layout documents the time my dad spent in the U.S. Air Force. I had received copies of some old black & white photos of my Dad from my Mom at the time and wanted to create a layout to commemorate them.
SPACER 
 SPACER
I was not one to use themed kits in my scrapbooking back then although I know they were quite popular. (Not the case nowadays, now I love a good kit!) I guess I always felt like I wanted to create my own design or theme for the layout of my pages. Plus I also felt like a kit could be restrictive or even in some ways, intimidating.  
SPACER
SPACER
In addition, I felt that anything that wasn't used in the initial project would be wasted. I know that it could potentially be used in other projects but if it was a theme that you didn't use very often, then what was left over would just go to waste. With being a budget scrapper it wasn't something that I easily reconciled with. 
SPACER
SPACER
As mentioned in the start of my post this two page layout documents the time that my father spent in the United States Air Force in the early 50's. I wanted to find something that had a military theme to it. 

This kit was by Karen Foster and contained mostly stickers or sticker embellishments plus a couple sheets of themed paper. It pushed me a bit to work outside of my creative comfort zone.   
SPACER
SPACER
As you can see here, in this close up, there is one of my favorite techniques at the time - paper tearing and also chalking!  I also used paper tearing on the title but no distressing. I used some patterned paper that would suit that time - Western Union telegram paper and sepia paper with pictures of military vehicles. Along with another patterned paper that looked like a snippet from a handwritten love letter. 

I love the Egyptian style borders on the old black and white photographs! It gave the photos such a different feel than modern day photos.
SPACER
SPACER
The left page

SPACER
The right page
SPACER
The full layout 

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to drop by my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Great military/heritage page! Wow...the design is fabulous and love the tearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! LOL, I still love paper tearing, even now!

    ReplyDelete